Sunday, February 21, 2010

" I'm Asking You to Believe in Me"


After hearing those words from Tiger's highly publicized interview this past week my only thought/response was a **blank stare**

That line highlights to me everything wrong with this Tiger situation. No offense to you, Mr. Woods, but I believe in higher beings, not athletes. The only thing that I ever really believed in is the fact that you can hit a mean 5 iron across the green.

Do I take personality into account when I think of the players I like? Yes, I admit that. But appreciating the like-ability of a guy and viciously finding ways to exploit the darker parts of a person are two different things. Athletes are a humans first and foremost not demi-gods that we need to put our faith in.

As far as an apology goes, I don't know if Tiger owes us as much of an apology as we owe him. The amount of time that we have taken prying into the life of the Woods' family is discomforting. I couldn't imagine being Elin and the humiliation that she has had to endure. And I cannot fathom the playground conversation that surrounds their children. I don't know how many times that I have heard "when you are a famous athlete this is what you sign up for." Last I checked, Tiger signed up to play golf and win trophies and he does that, REALLY well. America is plagued by a sense of entitlement and we feel overly entitled to be emerged into his personal life, feel entitled to an apology, and then after the fact we feel entitled to have him go back to golf and make it exciting again sooner rather than later.

I really can't wait for Tiger to win his next tournament so this whole hoopla can blow over and we can go back to worrying about the integrity of our own families and not that of the celebrities and athletes we too often live vicariously through.

1 comment:

  1. Well I played a drinking game to this "speech/performance." So I didnt really care what he said. But seeing as it was a drinking game I did care how many times he said it. And the references to his family were off the scale.

    ReplyDelete