Sunday, February 21, 2010

America F*** Yeah!

I have never really been a fan of the winter games in the Olympics. Maybe because I grew up in a town where Football is king and the Rodeo sponsors annual parades. But this year's Olympic games have definitely opened my eyes and woke up most of America.






The winter games used to be the one time that we gave all the other countries a fair chance. They're the only opportunity where countries like Norway can get a chance to taste victory and Olympic gold and not be found sulking in the shadows of American global dominance. But with Shaun White making this look more like the X games, Lindsey Vonn vying for the title of America's Sweetheart and Apolo Anto Ohno becoming Phelps on ice as he rakes in the medals, this years Olympics feel a lot different.

As a person who always roots for the underdog, part of me feels bad that we have spread our unapologetic hunger for gold to the inherently peaceful winter games, but then the other more patriotic side of me wants to stand up and scream "America F*** Yeah!" (insert "Team America" background music) every time Ohno adds to his hardware. So excuse as I continue to feel obnoxiously patriotic today and pop in the movie "Miracle" to celebrate 30 years of America beating people at their own game.

1 comment:

  1. My obsession with the Olympics is growing by the minute as I watch this USA vs. Canada hockey game in my full Red White and Blue gear. The Canadians are looking for blood and are making intense hits (and sometimes borderline cheap shots) that are making this look less like a friendly game and more like a bar brawl. I love it!

    The difference is that if the Canadian players get hurt they have free health care that will patch their boys up, us on the other hand... but I digress.

    ReplyDelete