Sunday, April 11, 2010

Today in Sports: Video Killed the Radio Star?

89 years ago today, KSKA provided the first ever broadcast of a sporting event on the radio. These days with the advent of 24 hour a day sports TV coverage, it would seem that the radio has become an outdated medium for acquiring the sports news of the day. 

Or at least that would be true to the untrained eye.. In truth the radio has just found a way to evolve through the use of the medium of radio podcasts. Now instead of being forced to tune in at a particular time to catch your favorite radio shows, you can download the show as a podcast and listen to it at your leisure. Say, for instance, that Mike and Mike in the Morning is your favorite radio/TV show but you can never catch it in the rush to prepare for work in the morning. With podcasts, you can go to ESPN.com and download their show directly from their Podcenter to be listened to at any time. 

For me, podcasts have become a way to get a comprehensive view of sports analysis on a daily basis. In fact, I feel like my weekday is unfulfilled if I don't get my daily fix of sports recap and analysis. So I figured that I would share some of my favorites with you in celebration of this anniversary, in case you become curious on a boring workday:

My Top Five Podcasts:

1. The B.S. Report
 - One of my favorites both because I enjoy the wit and comedy that Simmons employs in all of his podcasts as well as the fact that he mixes sports with other walks of life such as popular television shows and movies. Check it out for some solid betting advice (if gambling was legal), a good laugh or to catch one of his many special guests. 

2. The Dan Patrick Show
 - A three hour show covering all realms within the sports world. Even after leaving ESPN, Patrick displays the expertise of a well-traveled host as the length of the show flies by with ease. I always make sure to listen to the show daily to stay abreast of all things happening across the major sports. 

3. Football Today / NBA Today 
 - Even though these are seasonal podcasts they offer additional depth to the sports analysis of my favorite two sports as well as game by game breakdowns for the entirety of the regular season. It also helps me keep track of all the transactions that occur even in the off-season.

4. Scott Van Pelt Show
 - Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo provide poignant commentary on some of the major sporting news of the week. The majority of the shows center around interviews done with the many guests that are invited to the podcast and are never boring. 

5. Fantasy Focus Football/Baseball
 - While these podcasts may focus on fantasy sports the show's true quality comes in the fun-loving moods of the hosts. Not only is the information they provide invaluable (it essentially won me my fantasy league), they also provide very entertaining commentary on the sports they cover. There is a reason the Football podcast is a two-time award winner. 

Another important moment in sports occurred today that I would be remiss not to mention: In 1947 on this day Jackie Robinson became the first Black player in modern major league baseball leading the way for many influential African American players to follow. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment